Thursday, September 3, 2009

Do These Three Things - PLEASE

I am extremely leery of any quick-fix solution or overnight formula for success. In my opinion, they don't exist as we all have to work on ourselves to make it happen. In the words of Denis Waitley;

"Success is a process that continues, not a status that you reach. If you are alive, there are lessons to be learned."

With that said, the following formula is one that has been shared with members of my family/friends to encourage them to break through the rut they are in and experience success. Therefore, if I would share it with my family, I must believe in the principles. I suggested that they begin to regularly do these three things:

1. Surround themselves with positive people who believe that this life is not all there is. Personally, I find this at my local church and with my close circle of friends and business team members. Look, I know we don't share the same faith in all cases and this message is not about my faith; it is about you finding a group of people who regularly meet together and have a belief that there is more to life than what we see. This is the first step to a positive outlook on life.

2. You must exercise weekly in order to stimulate endorphins and maintain an energetic life. The exercise of walking to the kitchen or curling 12 ounces does not count as exercise. I bike ride several miles twice a week, and two to three days a week do strength training. This is nothing difficult, but it makes a major difference in my attitude, mindset and motivation.

3. You MUST educate yourself through reading. The average CEO in America reads four to five books per month. The average American reads one book per year, and 60 percent of us don't get past the first chapter! Which are you? I am no CEO and I read at least 2 sometimes 3 books per month, so can you...make a promise to yourself to read at least one book per month. Read anything except the "gossip trade rags", it makes a difference!

Regardless, of what you read… develop a passion for reading and learning, and you will see your attitude and outlook on life begin to change. Any person who faithfully invests their time in these three areas may not break world records in levels of success. However, everything in me believes that they would see dramatic improvements. I believe in those three things so much, I have encouraged my family/friends to invest their time in these areas as well.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Phil,

    My name is Carroll Emerson and I, like you, write a blog and do consulting. I wanted to tell you how much I appreciated this article. It's nice to find people who share the same wavelength. I agree 100% with your suggestions and I have found that the more I fill my mind with positive and motivating information and surround myself with people of like mind, I continue to move further along. Even for people like us who teach coach others regularly, we have to be sure we are coaching ourselves. I invite you to follow my blog as well. I have not written much ni the last week or so. You may find it at http://carrollemerson.wordpress.com. I have another I rarely post to and it is http://bustthemove.blogspot.com. I have read through some of your other blogs and I like your style.
    Let me add one thing that I have found that helps keep me motivated that I teach others. Our minds, emotions and drive are greatly affected by outside influences. What makes a movie scary, intense or sad? What helps create the atmosphere the director wants to create? The music. When we want to create a certain atmosphere we listen to music that fits that atmosphere. When we are in a religious frame of mind, we play religious music. When we want to dance, we listen to dance music. When we want to be romantic, we play music that is appropriate for the mood. Would it not make sense that if we want to be motivated we should listen to music that does exactly that, motivate us?
    Take, for example, the song, Eye of the Tiger, from Rocky III, or even the Rocky theme itself. How do we feel when we listen to it? We get MOTIVATED and feel DRIVEN. The type of music we listen to can make a HUGE difference in our drive and motivation. I list some examples of good motivating songs in one of my blogs. Queen's We Will Rock You is a perfect example as well.
    I would like to send you a free copy of my book. I just finished it a few months ago and I am promoting it. Would you be interested in a copy? Just let me know. You may email your address at carroll@carrollemerson.com. Thanks for allowing me to post and I am bookmarking your site. My current website is up as it should as we are rebuilding it. Please excuse the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carroll, sorry for the delay and I'll check your website as I love working with like minded individuals...Make it an awesome and successful day!

    Cheers, Phil

    ReplyDelete